Before

Nothing like spending a ton of money for a BB gun, just to tear it apart. 

After shooting for a few days, I realized I had a great rifle, but it was lacking. The trigger was heavy (despite the adjustment screw), there was slop in the lever, the wood had a few dings, and it was loud. Then the fill probe snapped. I took it as a sign from above that I should just go ahead and rebuild the 707 to make it perform like a new rifle to my exact specifications. 

Disassembly 

Unscrew things until the rifle is in pieces: 

The tricky part (at this point) was removing the stock. I had to make a tool:

16″ steel tubing with a nail through the middle. Does it look stupid? If it works it ain’t stupid.

Lever comes out with a pin and screw.

And slides out the bottom.

Trigger is removed with a screw.

And slides out.

Sear is removed with a pin. Then you get it stuck… like welded shut stuck. This was caused by part of a spring wedging adainst the sear. The plan was to polish all contact points. further examination revealed the cause for the adjustment screw not adjusting was it was broke. After it had broke off, the previous owner cut a slot in the screw. It was too short to make any difference in pull weight. I obtained a new trigger adjustment screw- which was hard to find. It was cut down in small increments. Here’s where problems developed. The screw head was too large to allow the lever to close. By the time it was short enough to clear the lever it made no difference in pull weight. 

Stock refinishing

After several hours of stripping and hand sanding:

Typically, I’ll stain the wood and use a can outdoor polyurethane to finish the wood (not to beat my chest, but I’m good with a spraycan-years of writing my name on bridges). This time, I decided to try boiled linseed oil as a finish.

Advertisements